Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Africa isn’t for Sissies!
(Written by Mike)

David Livingstone once said that there were three problems with living in Africa: 1) Fever – Various fevers and illnesses could kill a man overnight. 2) The tsetse fly – This fly’s bite was fatal to horses, oxen, cattle, and sheep. 3) Lions – In his day they “infested” much of South Africa.

A lot has changed since 1843! All of those things still exist, but they do so much closer to the equator and to a much lesser degree than back then. But still, Africa is no place for sissies. Here are a few examples:

Check out Reed’s and Darcy’s scabs and mosquito bites. It seems that our kids are magnets for mosquitoes, dirt, and the ground. (That is they fall a lot!) But, they seem to be taking it all well. We’re trying to use more mosquito spray and bandaids.

Here’s a story for you. Lorie and I take a trip to the Cape (without kids!) before the winter starts getting too cold. As we near the Cape Point National Park, we see all of these people outside of their cars taking pictures of baboons. Having read the brochure, I’m thinking, “Those fools better get back into their cars before they get hurt!” Lorie, not having read the brochure, grabs the camera and hops out of the car. She says, “Come on!” At that moment I see this baboon eyeing Lorie and start running at her, so I respond, “No way! You get back in!!!” She sees the baboon and runs to the back of the car to get back in. The baboon was right behind her and tried to open the door after her. Fortunately Lorie had locked it! The baboon sat there and looked at us for about a minute then walked off. We’re not sure why Lorie was the only person they decided to go after that day, but we’re sure glad that she’s still quick on her feet!

Africa isn’t for sissies.

And what’s a trip to Africa without a visit to a wildlife preserve. Here we have a bull Elephant starting to charge us! Fortunately he was just trying to scare us of – it worked!!! I told Reed that the reason he didn’t really charge us was because … (Wait for it!) … (Here it comes!) … (Almost there!) … I took away his credit card! (You didn’t think I would never put in a “Mike joke” did you?!)

Through out the years, South Africa has been both a beautiful and tough place to live. We had the chance to visit Robben Island which is a former prison similar to Alcatraz. For the men imprisoned here – many unjustly because of Apartheid – this was a very hard place to be. Here is the cell that Nelson Mandela spent over 18 years of his life in. The atrocities that were committed in that place were hard to hear about.

Africa isn’t for sissies.

Something that has struck me since we’ve been here is something that is hard for me to admit to. As we have interacted with the poor, the orphans, the sick, and the lonely, I have realized that my heart isn’t as tender as it used to be. Years ago I would have been brought to tears; passing out hugs and words of encouragement to all of those who need it. But now I realize that I have been more detached, and a little more distant with the people here. And I’ve been asking God and myself, “Why? Why aren’t I more compassionate? Is it that I’m pulling back to protect myself from so many needs that I can’t possibly help fulfill them all?”

But the answer that has been coming to me is that my heart has been slowly and gradually hardening over the last few months/years. (I’m not exactly sure of the time frame.) “Wow. How did that happen?” I’m not sure yet. But this issue has become the focus of my prayers. Why am I here if not to be compassionate? To genuinely care about others? To reach out to the lost? To comfort the lonely? To love people the way Jesus would? I don’t want my time here to be wasted, nor to be a victory for the enemy. “God, help me to love all people the way that you do. Help me to be your ambassador.” This has not been an easy thing for me to face nor admit too. But this hard introspection is what God is asking me to do here and now; and I will.

Africa isn’t for sissies.

“Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.” James 1: 27

What about you? Do you genuinely love people? Or do they usually get in the way of what you want to have or do? Do you feel a tug at your heart for those who are lonely, hungry, or hurting? Or are you like me and see that your heart is perhaps a little too hard around the edges? Let me know and I will pray for you too. Because that’s how we are meant to live this life.

Life isn’t for sissies.

Thanks for all of your friendship, love, and support!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, Thanks for these updates, each time I read them I get more and more excited to be coming there for a short time. I ask my self that same question. Although I am finding that the more I ask that question, How can I love the way Jesus loved? God seems to send me a person, or situation or conversation that allows me to act upon it, or to walk away. I often act even when I am not sure how or what I am supposed to do. But each time I reach out and talk to someone who needs help I often come away with a since peace. I am hoping that my experience there will allow me to feel that peace as well. Keep looking for those opportunities to not hold back, and to invest all you have to offer. Isn't that what God asks of us to do?
Teri D

2:29 PM  
Blogger Helena Halter said...

Wow, what a thought provoking post.
Loving people without judging people or wondering what they could do for me and why should I bother with them otherwise is the way of this world. But we always have to remember we were not meant for this world. Jesus was on this broken earth to show us how to love people openly and unconditionally and to wonder why is God putting this person in front of me right now and to ask God to bother us over and over again so we have new opportunities each day to reach out to others. I find I have to constantly ask for His spirit to lead me through every step of my day so as not to go with the 'ways of this world' and to let me be a blessing to others as so many of my Canyon Hills family have been a blessing to me and my family. Especially in these past very trying weeks.

Thank you Mike and Lorie for the many blessing of Jesus you have brought to me!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

Dear Taylor family - thank you again for the update. We all wanted to say a big "Happy Birthday" to Lacey Darlene today, and hoped we could post it and she would get to read it. It must be a fun thing to get to have a birthday in South Africa - not every 7-year old could say that! Have fun celebrating, sweetie!

Love,
Randy, Summer, Taran & Skylar

6:05 AM  
Blogger Doah said...

Hi Taylors,

Great post Mike. I love your honesty and I think that is a great prayer my brother. Hey, Happy Seventh Birthday Lacey! I am wondering what number is greater: the number of candles on your birthday cake or the number of mosquito bites on your body? Chrisy, Max, Wes, Zoey, Kasey, and I love you 6 times for each cute freckle on your cute little face. That's a lot too! Mike, regarding your dumb "Mike Joke" . . . we talked about missing that in Julian. In fact, I kind of mentioned it in a post card we sent you, but I didn't have enough room for details. We were at the Julian grill Thursday evening and Chrisy ordered a hot chocolate. They brought it out in a glass, and, I don't know if you remember this, but their glasses are these boots so I totally dead-pan it and say, "Hot chocolate and a cup to boot." Everybody groaned and Tony said, "Dude, you're channeling Mike Taylor. He probably just felt some tingling in South Africa!" We miss you.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Lorie!
I enjoyed reading about all that you have been doing in Africa! I love hearing your stories and the insights that God is giving you as you serve Him. I am sure that this will be life-changing for your kids. They will always be thankful for the experiences they are having.
Lorie, a few weeks ago I was looking over some of the writing that I did when you were my teacher in Argentina. I was so blessed to have you my life, and it is neat to hear how God is still using you and your family in missions!
I am so excited to see you all in July and have Reed be part of our wedding.
My prayers are with you as you continue serving and learning in AFrica!

Becky

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home