Sunday, July 02, 2006

One Child (Written by Lorie)

We were created to love and to be loved. We long for people to nurture, inspire, and comfort us. We long to have someone believe in us. Those are some of the truths God pointed out to me while I was in South Africa, not only in giving but also in receiving. It has been challenging to remember these things since I've arrived back to the states. It's easy to get caught up in the busyness of day to day life. I am distracted by "what's next" that I have caught myself forgetting to do simple things like make eye contact with and smile at the cashier.

To get my attention on this, I was encouraged by a piece of mail that I received this week. I recognized the sender's name immediately as a student I had thirteen years ago whom I had taught for two years when she was in fourth and fifth grade in Norwalk. I remember her very well. Her name is Perla. She was a limited English speaker and struggling to get through the second language curriculum. I remember her because there was a sweet teacher-student relationship between us. But like every year, a teacher sends her students off to the next teacher with hopes that they do well in life. One doesn't always get the honor of knowing how or if she really impacts them.

So I opened my mail to find a UC Irvine graduation announcement from Perla. Wow! I'm so proud of her! What an accomplishment! What obstacles and barriers she has overcome! Wow! She also sent me her graduation picture and on the back she writes a little note.

Dear Mrs. Taylor, Thank you for the wonderful years we spent together. I still think of you and your kind words. Thank you for being a great teacher and changing the life of one child. Love, Perla

With tears running down my cheeks, that was enough to remind me that this is how we are meant to live. We are meant to love others just as Christ has loved us. I may not always find out nor is it necessary to know how I have touched someone but I am called to be the heart of Jesus to others and to love them. God's spirit makes the impact.

I am renewed once again to the irreplaceable role I have in God's great adventure! We all have an irreplaceable role!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Doah said...

Hey Lorie, thanks for a really great story here about Perla. Obviously, being a teacher myself, I was right there with you--all choked up thinking how I would feel if this happened to me. We are lucky to be in such a profession. Also, I truly wanted you to know that I do not take you for granted. In truth, you have affected me like you have Perla, really. You've made a lasting impact upon me. When I think about my family, we could just as easily say, "one family" so thank you. --Doah

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home