Saturday, January 06, 2007


The Good ‘Ol Days

I’m living them right now. Sure, the routine can get mundane. Day in and day out. “I don’t know how you do it” or “I couldn’t do that” are phrases I often hear from people when I tell them I home school my three kids (ages 10, 7, and 5). I think what most people want to say is, “Are you nuts?” And there are days when I’m thinking the same thing! I mean, my kids are with me all the time. I went to the doctor a few months ago to get a mammogram and my then four year old boldly asks me in a waiting room full of people why my boob was squashed in that machine. No shame.



I would love to tell someone that I’m a chef, or a chauffeur, or a psychologist, or a domestic engineer. That all sounds so glamorous. But the truth of the matter is that I get up everyday, throw together some food, sit for hours teaching those three kids readin’, ‘ritin, and ‘rithmetic, taxi them around to their activities, and try to help resolve the same conflict today that happened yesterday and the day before yesterday. It’s a hard sale on glamour.



So what makes it so good? I have come to realize that when you are supposed to be doing something with your life, you know it. This is my sixth year home schooling my kids and I have been surprised by the joy it has brought to my life, especially this year.

This past semester alone has opened a myriad of moments when God has invited himself into my life situation and engaged with me and my kids.



One day after a field trip, I watched my two ballerina girls twirl around on a cliff with the sun setting into the ocean behind them. God stood next to me watching and whispering, “This is my gift to you.”

Reed’s questions about topics we are studying frequently lead us into lengthy conversations about life – our lives, other people’s lives, how we are to love. It’s times like those when I invite God along knowing far too well that my influence in his life is not enough.



In October, the kids and I took a road trip to Lake Almanor. As we drove through the mountains, the colors of autumn exploded all around us with Chris Tomlin’s song “Indescribable” blaring out. I literally had to catch my breath a few times. The earth is filled with His glory. My five year old Darcy got caught up in His glory several times when she repeatedly said, “Wow!” to the beauty around her. Later that week, the kids and I took a nature walk through the woods and thanked God for showing up and sharing His creation with us right down to the scent of cedar.



Hearing “I love you mom” from my ten year old son a few times a day, listening to Lacey sing, “I love my mama so much”, and having Darcy still crawl into my lap to read books is the passion of this mother’s heart.

No, home schooling is not everyone’s cup of tea and certainly parents can have amazing relationships with their kids regardless of their educational choices. But I’m just so thankful for the TIME I have with them now and though harried as I can be at times during the day to day schedule, God pulls me out of it in order for me to look into it and reminds me that I’m exactly where He wants me to be. And the best part is that He’s right there with me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

All I can say is, "Thank you, Lorie," for putting to words something that seems so "indescribable" sometimes. This lifted my soul this morning, when I'm extremely down on myself again, and as I'm looking towards our first real week back to school - hopefully a more diligent one that last weeks few attempts! Thank you, thank you, thank you - for sharing!

Love you!
Summer

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home