Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I’m Alright – NOT!

With apologies to Kenny Loggins, I have to admit that I’m not alright. I used to think that I was. I used to agree with Kenny’s song. And I thought that I was a very good guy. But God has opened my eyes to this reality – when left to my own devices I can be quite … ugly. And that’s not alright.


The reality is that we are all broken. We were born into this world that way. And I am no exception. Sure, I’ve done a lot of good in my life. OK, I basically have a good heart. And yeah, my intentions are good. But … I am broken. I can be very selfish, self centered, and think quite highly of myself. And that’s not how we were meant to live. It’s the broken parts in us that cause us to live that way.


Only the great “Healer” can begin to fix those broken things inside of us. And only then can we start to truly live … as we see others as more important than ourselves. I think I had learned this lesson when I was younger. But somehow, as I have gotten older and wiser (Ha!), I have forgotten it. Well, this old dog isn’t too old to learn a new trick (or re-learn one). It’s time to stop focusing on me, and to truly love others.


Below are the lyrics of a song that have really been speaking to my heart lately. I hope they are meaningful to you too.



I’m Not Alright (Sanctus Real)

If weakness is a wound that no one wants to speak of,
then ”cool” is just how far we have to fall.
And I am not immune. I only want to be loved.
But I feel safe behind the firewall.
Can I lose my need to impress?
If you want the truth I need to confess.

I’m not alright. I’m broken inside, broken inside.
And all I go through, it leads me to you, it leads me to you.

Burn away the pride. Bring me to my weakness

‘til everything I hide behind is gone.
And when I’m open wide with nothing left to cling to
Only you are there to lead me on.
‘Cause honestly I’m not that strong.

I’m not alright. I’m broken inside, broken inside.
And all I go through, it leads me to you, it leads me to you.

And I will move, and I will move, and I will move closer to you
And I will move, and I will move, and I will move closer to you
And I will move, and I will move, and I will move closer to you
And I will move, and I will move, and I will move closer to you

I’m not alright. I’m broken inside, broken inside, broken inside, broken inside.
And all I go through, it leads me to you, it leads me to you.
I’m not alright. I’m not alright. I’m not alright. That’s why I need you.




God, please help me to see myself and others the way that you do.
-Mike

2 Comments:

Blogger Doah said...

Yea, I'm not alright either. Very broken man. Reconciled, but broken. Thanks for the lyrics.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

You are most definitely not alone my friend. Thanks for the honesty! I still think you're a pretty good guy though.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home